Students develop their scientific knowledge and conceptual understanding through the specific disciplines of biology, chemistry and physics. Many of the skills required to study biology, chemistry and physics are common to all three subjects so at the start of the year pupils will complete a ‘Working Scientifically’ unit.
The course is organised into several modules in which students learn:
Cells, Tissues and Organs, Reproduction, Ecology
- a diverse range of topics from the molecular level to whole organisms and ecosystems
- key biological principles
- the skills that allow them to understand successfully the science they encounter every day
- to communicate their ideas orally and in writing, and enable them to translate information to and from prose, graphs, numerical data, and diagrams
The Properties of Substances (solids liquids and gases), Separating Substances, Chemical Reactions
- the science of matter, what it is made from, what its properties are, how it is structured and how it reacts
- key chemical principles
- to analyse, evaluate and to communicate effectively
- practical skills
Sound and Light, Forces, Energy
- about the experimental study of the physical world
- a wide spectrum of the simple phenomena and mathematics that make our universe what it is
- to think critically about the world
- the fundamentals that govern the behaviour of matter and energy
Students are set homework every week in Science (Biology, Chemistry and Physics); research tasks, collecting data over time and other extension and consolidation activities.
Students are assessed throughout the year through written tests, assessment of practical skills, extended writing tasks in addition to the end of year examination.
All students have the opportunity to participate in ‘Science Week’ competitions, sports science activities with Harlequins FC.
Students also experience trips to The National Physical Laboratory and the Science Museum, as well as Masterclasses from the Royal Astronomical Society.
|Year 8||Biology, Chemistry and Physics|
|Year 9||Biology, Chemistry and Physics|
|Year 10 Triple|
|Year 10 Trilogy|
|Year 11 Triple|
|Year 11 Trilogy|