The Club has been in the borough for over 100 years with its original ground on the site that is now Twickenham Stadium. Since 1963, the Club has been based at the Twickenham Stoop stadium. Harlequins is one of the founding members of the RFU and boasts more presidents than any other club, as well as a healthy dose of international players. The Club supplied six England players for the wider 2015 Rugby World Cup squad.
In January 2015, Harlequins launched the Harlequins Foundation to bring together the considerable charitable activity delivered by Harlequin FC and to better harness the power of the players, the Club and its supporters. The Foundation’s aims are simple – to give the next generation a better chance in life – particularly disabled or disadvantaged children.
The range of activity is extensive, from work in the local community to inner-city hostels, from London hospital wards to playing fields and classrooms in the Third World. Harlequins rugby, its values, the players and staff are central to delivering this and in turn gain considerable personal benefit from the experience.
What Harlequins will bring to RTS:
- Help create a best in class sporting programme for all age groups and levels across a range of sports to encourage participation and healthy living.
- Access to elite professional athletes and the experts from their industries including health and nutrition, strength and conditioning, leadership and management.
- Access to Harlequins’ facilities – for example restaurant-standard kitchens and first-class sporting facilities.
- Curriculum support.
- Work experience.
- Workshops delivered to students on leadership, management and several areas of professional sport.
- Invitations for student groups to work on projects which Harlequins are undertaking, for example being a part of tendering processes or designing marketing collateral for supporters and the general public.
For more information about Harlequins, go to: www.quins.co.uk